Arkansas Razorbacks Soccer Team Opens SEC Play at Tennessee on Friday
The Arkansas Razorbacks soccer team, ranked number 11, will kick off SEC play on Friday with a trip to Tennessee. They will then return home to finish their non-conference schedule against Grand Canyon on Sunday.
The upcoming match between the Lady Razorbacks (3-2-1) and the Lady Vols (5-1-1) will be the 22nd meeting of all time. These teams last faced each other in the SEC Tournament 2021 championship match, which was won by Tennessee. The game will start at 6 p.m. CT.
Tennessee is currently on a three-game undefeated streak after finishing their non-conference slate with a 5-1-1 record, including a loss to SMU and a draw against Indiana.
Following that, Arkansas will host Grand Canyon at 1 p.m. on Sunday at Razorback Field. The Lady Lopes are making their return trip to Fayetteville after the Razorbacks secured a 3-0 victory in Phoenix last season.
Grand Canyon is coming off a 2-0 win against North Dakota on September 10th. It was the fifth shutout for the Lopes in their first eight games of the season.
The Razorbacks are looking to bounce back from a couple of tough road losses against No. 4 North Carolina and No. 9 Clemson. Both games this weekend will be streamed on the SEC+ network.
The Sunday match will also coincide with the first-ever outdoor beer festival hosted by the Arkansas Razorbacks, called “Brew Pig Sooie.”
- The Hogs enter the fifth week ranked number 11 in the United Soccer Coaches poll and number 17 in the TopDrawerSoccer poll.
- Since 2019, the Hogs have a record of 19-10-4 as visitors and have defeated four ranked teams. Arkansas has a record of 4-6-2 in away games against ranked opponents since 2019.
- Arkansas will look to extend their 25-game undefeated streak at home, dating back to 2021.
- The Hogs have a record of 23-0-2 at Razorback Field since defeating No. 25 BYU on August 30, 2021.
- Since 2016, Arkansas has a record of 60-9-4 at Razorback Field.
- Arkansas has had 11 different players score their 18 goals in 2023. Three of the 11 came off the bench, and two of the 18 goals were scored by goalkeeper Sierra Cota-Yarde.
- Senior student Anna Podojil enters the weekend as the DI leader in points (122) and ranks second in goals (46).
- Podojil was included in the United Soccer Coaches’ Forward to Watch list and the TopDrawerSoccer Preseason Best XI Third Team, as well as being ranked 29th on their preseason Top 100 list.
- Podojil, along with Ellie Podojil, Bea Franklin, Kiley Dulaney, Ava Tankersley, and Makenzie Malham, were named to the SEC Preseason Watch List.